Tuesday, January 10, 2012

in honor

one of my favorite stories growing up was the little prince, by antoine de saint exupéry. I had a calendar in middle school, and at the end of that calendar year I cut out every picture and matching quote and recycled them into cards and so forth over the years.. I’m pretty darn certain my mom has one of them in a book I made her just last year on her birthday when her and dad came up to the mountains for the weekend (side note- diddy, ill be at burgermeisters, your fav, after work for a burger, fried pickles, and a cold one, see you there.. on another side note, i have to share this story- one time when we were there, maybe moms birthday trip, there was this ragged old beater of a truck out front of burgermeisters that had spray painted on the back, 'dont laugh at the truck, your daughter loves it'.. we got pictures and everything. anyways, a few weeks after dad passed away and im driving home from asheville after my first week back at work, music blasting, tears rollin', no hope in the world, and here beside me barreling up mt pisgah comes this truck. be it a sign or coincidence- i needed it at that moment, but i am superstituous, and i am my father's daughter, and i do like to find meaning in just about anything..) back on track      > I also based one of my photography books in highschool around this quote from the book, “Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.”
*In case you don’t understand the words that im sayin’, “here is my secret. It is very simple. it is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
where I photographed the eyes only, of close friends and then fashioned my own (yes-homemade!) book to compile the images. And it’s also got a nice little home somewhere in the midst of all that chaos order I spoke of a few days ago (see last post)..
I got a very special card last year after dads passing with a little prince image and quote that I just love. And it being his birthday! tomorrow, I cannot think of a more appropriate time to share…
"When you look up at the sky at night, since I'll be living on one of them, since I'll be laughing on one of them, for you, it'll be as if all the stars are laughing. You'll have stars that can laugh!"
(and it goes on… “And he laughed again. ‘And when you're consoled (everyone is eventually consoled), you'll be glad you've known me. You'll always be my friend. You'll feel like laughing with me. And you'll open your windows sometimes just for the fun of it... And your friends will be amazed to see you laughing while you're looking up at the sky.’ Then you'll tell them, 'Yes, it's the stars. They always make me laugh!’”)
So this is just a quick little post for all of you who wonder about those that you love and where they’ve ventured off to now, just take a look up at the night sky... and laugh! (because sometimes that is the only way to get you through that moment..) I find solace in simply taking in the vast, open sky, feeling so small down here looking up; and in the hope that they’re laughing and sparkling! up there too.
*as our yoga class came to an end tonight and im laying there reflecting on the intention I set for the last hour and half, I hear, “someday ill wish upon a star, and wake up where the clouds are far behind me, where troubles melt like lemon drops away above the chimney tops, that’s where you’ll find me..” (somewhere over the rainbow was playing was actually in the background) and I smile, and remember to look up if im needing some extra comfort.

love you diddy, happy birthday. i'll celebrate your life and cherish your advice always.

 "remember, in life there are no shortcuts to any place worth going. love everything you do."
                                                                         -wise words of kpg






 (...the next posts should involve more than just a meer mention of a burger and fried pickles...just had to get into the groove again y'all. turn' it up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment